Manitoba Breeding Bird Atlas
The Manitoba Breeding Bird Atlas (2010 – 2014) is the largest natural history survey in Manitoba’s history and has produced an exceptionally high quality, comprehensive baseline against which future bird distribution and abundance will be measured. From 2010 – 2014, 1,054 registered volunteers invested 42,620 hours in the field (and many other hours in preparation), collecting well over 300,000 bird records. Many of the province’s most remote and least known areas were surveyed, greatly improving our knowledge, and five species were added to the list of confirmed breeders in the province.
This massive project was led by a steering committee with representatives from seven organisations: Paul Goossen: Environment Canada; Ken De Smet: Manitoba Conservation; Jon McCracken :Bird Studies Canada; Rudolf Koes :Nature Manitoba; Sherrie Mason :Manitoba Hydro; Cary Hamel :The Nature Conservancy of Canada; Randy Mooi :The Manitoba Museum
Two Bird Studies Canada (BSC) staff members spearheaded the effort: Christian Artuso (coordinator) and Bonnie Chartier (assistant coordinator). Technical considerations were guided by a technical committee and especially with the guidance of Denis Lepage and Andrew Couturier of BSC. This was an extraordinary partnership of government, non-government, industry and individual partners and the philosophy of inclusivity that was adopted permitted engaging a broad cross-section of society (birders of all skill levels, canoeists, outdoor enthusiasts, rural communities, First Nations, school children and youth) and made this project truly unique. Access the Manitoba Breeding Bird Atlas here
In 2016 the Manitoba Breeding Bird Atlas Steering Committee received the Ernest Thompson Seton Award
Manitoba Avian Research Committee
The Manitoba Avian Research Committee of Nature Manitoba has written a number of references for birding in Manitoba. The publications are available from book and nature stores in Winnipeg, Brandon, and other Manitoba locations.
- The Birds of Manitoba
- Finding Birds in Southern Manitoba
- Checklist of the Birds of Manitoba (PDF)
ManitobaBirds Group on Groups.io
Discussions can be had on the Manitoba Birds Group.
- Peter Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ABA Principles of Birding Ethics
- All About Birds (Cornell Lab)
- Audubon Guide to Buying Binoculars
- Birds Canada
- Birdwatching Guide - General Birdwatching Links
- Breeding Bird Survey
- Christian Artuso's Wildlife Photography
- Delta Marsh Bird Observatory
- Feather Atlas
- Fort Whyte Centre for Environmental Education
- ebird Canada
- The Friends of the Bluebirds -- the Manitoba Affliate of the North American Bluebirds Society
- Hinterland Who's Who--Bird Fact Sheets
- Manitobabirds Discussion Group
- Manitoba Breeding Bird Atlas
- Manitoba Chimney Swift Initiative
- Manitoba Important Bird Areas Program
- Optics: Information on Binoculars and Scopes
- Prairie Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre
- Wildlife Haven Rehabilitation Centre
For more general links, go to our general links page.