- A full day trip. Previous experience, significant skill and good physical condition required. Must be able to carry a heavy pack. Steep or difficult terrain or waves to be expected. Sustained strenuous activity required. Weather not normally severe.
- A strenuous camping trip of many days duration requiring medium/heavy packs, specialized equipment and skills. Long portages over difficult terrain may occur. Severe weather conditions may halt trip and require use of skilled survival techniques. Accidents such as capsizing or physical injuries may be life threatening. Wilderness or remote location may make rescue or aid difficult to obtain.
|Hiking & Biking (Helmet mandatory)
- Hike up to 20 km per day over difficult terrain with a medium/heavy pack under possible severe weather conditions.
- Cycle up to 7 hr on paved roads/gravel roads/wilderness trails at speeds of 15-25 km/hr under possible severe weather conditions.
|Canoeing/Kayaking (PFD mandatory)
- Paddle up to 8hrs under possible severe wind and wave conditions. Knowledge of rescue skills desirable.
- Paddle in moving water with class 2 rapids (waves to 1 meter and boulders in stream, clear passages). Back ferrying and turns in 8 km/hr current likely required.
|XC skiing/ Snowshoeing
- Ski up to 22 km/day in flat and hilly terrain with steep sections and/or difficult off-trail terrain. Severe weather conditions are possible.
- Snowshoe up to 22 kms on flat and hilly terrain with steep sections with medium pack and/or pulling a sled. Trail breaking may be required.
- [Participant able to construct/set up emergency shelter, e.g. quinzhe, snow trench, lean-to. Capable of making emergency equipment repairs. Knowledgeable in assessment and care of cold injuries.]